15 years of consulting in niche markets

Switzerland IT Jobs

Work in Switzerland

  • Switzerland is known for restrictive immigration policies and work permit quotas.
  • According to Swiss law, foreign workers have to be employed under the same salaries and work conditions as Swiss citizens.
  • In Swiss in each Canton there is a strict number of work permits available. We understand that there is need of IT professionals to work in Swiss and we are able to negotiate with a quota system with our local office. 
  • Requirements for non-EU-citizens wishing to work in Switzerland have become stricter.
  • In Switzerland we work in accordance with AUG Swiss Employment Law. We able to get outsourced supplier agreements with major companies in Switzerland. We have a business process to do permanent and contract per hour placements in Switzerland. We can locally get Canton Work Permits for non-Swiss residents, normally in 24 hours.
  • We can provide English, French and German speaking staff.



Switzerland has four official languages: German (spoken by 64% of the population), French (19%), Italian (8%) and Rhaeto-Roman (1%).  If you’re aiming to work in an international institution or large multinational company, much of the work may be conducted in English with other non-Swiss nationals. However, for national or smaller Swiss companies, you will almost certainly be required to have a basic command of the local language. The level of language required will depend on the nature of the position and what sort of work you will be doing.




Swiss labour law applies several rules regarding labour leasing in Switzerland

A foreign labour-leasing company cannot place a person at the premises of a Swiss end clientA Swiss labour-leasing company is allowed to place a person at the premises of a Swiss end client in possession of a valid labour leasing licenceA Swiss Company is not allowed to use a foreign labour leasing company to provide personnel.

Swiss has a very strict law for non EU nationals who wish to work in Switzerland. EU nationals can work in Swiss, but also under strict regulations. In Swiss in each Canton there is a strict number of work permits available. We understand that there is need of IT professionals to work in Swiss and we are able to negotiate with a quota system with our local office. In order to meet Labour requrenments in Switzerland ICEURO works with a local partner in Switzerland responsible for managing all legal requirenments. 

In order to meet labour law requrenments in Switzerland ICEURO works with a local partner in Switzerland responsible for managing all legal and accounting processes.



The Swiss don’t like to talk about money and salaries and salaries aren’t commonly quoted in job advertisements. In most cases, salaries are negotiable and it’s up to you to make sure that you receive an appropriate salary for your qualifications and experience. In Switzerland wages are established according to the principle of seniority. Many Swiss companies are reluctant to pay a young person (e.g. around 30) a top salary, irrespective of their qualifications or experience.


Salary Terms and Conditions

The salary, social security contributions and the terms of employment for foreign workers must be in accordance with conditions customary to the region and the particular sector. Employers are required to register their employees with social security authorities. The Federal Social Insurance Office (FSIO) together with the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) provide comprehensive and clear guidance on this subject.

Foreign employees must be registered with the tax authorities. The employer is responsible to deduct the amount of tax each month from the employee’s wage and pay the sum to the tax authorities. Further information on this subject is available from the cantonal tax authorities or from the Federal Tax Administration. Employers that do not comply with the legal requirements will not receive any further work permits for foreign workers.



The amount of taxes you have to pay depends on many factors, such as salary and saving, civil status, place you live etc. To calculate of how much taxes you have to pay check the link.


Application Process

1) Application submission

Employer submits the relevant application documents to the cantonal employment service. Depending on the case or canton that is competent to examine applications, applications are to be submitted to the migration agency of the given canton. Non EU nationals are required to apply for a visa with the local Swiss diplomatic representation abroad.

2) Application Screening

The Cantonal Employment Service screens applications according to the ANAG directives and makes a preliminary decision. Applications approved by the canton need to be submitted to the State Secretariat for Migration for final approval.The State Secretariat for Migration SEM process applications according to criteria relevant to the whole of Switzerland. The applicant, employer and both cantonal offices receive a formal written decision from the Migration Office. The decision is subject to a charge, payable by the employer, and does not authorize the applicant to enter Switzerland.

3) Visa Issued

The Cantonal Migration Authority advises (by consent of SEM where persons from nations subject to visa requirements are concerned) the appropriate Swiss diplomatic representation abroad online to issue visa. Applicants are requested to collect their visa at that specific Swiss representation.

4) Registration

Employee registers himself with the residents’ registration office not longer than 14 days after his entry into Switzerland. Only then is he allowed to take up his employment.


Work Permits

Cantonal authorities are responsible for issuing permits. For more information, please visit the State Secretariat for Migration.


Non EU/EFTA Nationals

Work permits are broken down into several categories and are defined by letters:

L: Short-term residence permit: Typically granted for a work permit up to one year. It is tied to the term of the employment contract and can be extended to up to 24 months.

B: Initial residence permit: Normally granted for 1 year and is renewing from one year to the next, provided there are no conflicting grounds, such as dependency on social welfare.

C: Permanent Residence Permit: After staying in Switzerland for ten uninterrupted years, nationals from third states may, in principle, obtain a C permit. Nationals from the USA and Canada must stay for five uninterrupted years. A C permit holder can change employers freely and live in any canton. Taxes are no longer levied at source.


EU/EFTA Nationals

L Permit is given to people who will work in the country for less than one year. EU/EFTA nationals looking for a job also receive this permit after being in the country for three months. Under certain conditions EU/EFTA nationals which plan to stay for less than 3 months may not need a permit at all. For EU/EFTA Nationals B permit is granted for a period of five years and will be automatically extended for five years as long as the employment relationship continues. Nationals from EU/EFTA countries can get a C permit, valid for an indefinite length, usually after a regular and uninterrupted stay of five years in Switzerland.


Work Permit Application Process

EU/EFTA nationals planning to live in Switzerland for more than three months and/or to work must notify authorities in the commune (municipality) where they plan to live within 14 days of arriving or before starting a job.

Non EU/EFTA nationals are additionally required to do the following:

Your employer has to handle visa arrangements before you enter the countryBefore coming to Switzerland, you have to send your passport to the relevant Swiss embassy or consulate in your home country, which will issue your visa.After arriving in Switzerland, you must notify the commune (municipality) where you will be living. Those authorities will forward your papers to cantonal authorities, which will issue the actual residence permit – a small card much like a driver's licenceIn order to register with Local Commune you will have to provide a passport, passport picture, an employment contract and proof of health insurance. To make sure you meet the documents' requirements, please check them online at cantonal authorities official website.


Personal Qualifications:

Applicants will be required to provide a certificate from the a university or any other institution of higher education as well as the proof of professional experience. Depending on the profession or field of specialisation, some applicants can be required to provide a proof of special trainings and work experience. To facilitate a long term social and professional integration in Switzerland additionally to professional qualifications, the applicants will be required to submit the following information:

  1. professional and social adaptability.
  2. knowledge of a language (or languages).
  3. age.

If the original documents are not in German, French, Italian, or English applicants will be required to provide a translated version of all documents. If an applicant comes from a nation whose education system or system of professional training greatly differs from that of Switzerland,  additional information will be required, such as the length and the content of the education, exams were taken and the results.




If you live or work in Switzerland Insurance is compulsory! Only people who live in a neighbouring country and come to Switzerland to work – can choose whether to take out health insurance in Switzerland or in their own country. After moving to Switzerland, you have three months to take out insurance with an authorised health insurance company of your choice. The communal or cantonal authorities responsible ensure that everyone takes out insurance (you will be required to submit a copy of your policy or health insurance card) and authorise any exceptions.




Working Hours

Working hours depend on the company, the job and the industry and will be stated in the contract. Swiss law fixes the maximum work time to 45 hours per week for industrial workers, office personnel, technical personnel and other employees, including sales personnel in large-scale retail. For all other workers, the limit is fixed at 50 hours.


Annual Leave

Swiss law guarantees workers the right to holiday leave; the minimum amount required by law is four weeks for workers and apprentices over 20 years oldfive weeks for workers and apprentices up to 20 years old.


Flexible Time Management

  • Many Swiss companies allow people to work flexible hours, especially in manufacturing industries. The day is then divided into different blocks, which are shifted between employees. However, there are legal requirements that have to be respected, such as time off, breaks, official holidays, days off per week, ban on night shifts, work on Sundays, etc. The employer must also consult workers before planning schedules and take into account the workers’ needs wherever possible.
  • Overtime (when working hours are exceed the agreed) is paid 125% of the normal rate or compensated in other forms.
  • Inability to work.



Average rents per month in Switzerland in 2010 were as follows:

1 room apartment: CHF 709;        

2 room apartment: CHF 939;         

3 room apartment: CHF 1,145;         

4 room apartment: CHF 1,402;         

5 room apartment: CHF 1,791.



Accommodation is normally rented unfurnished in Switzerland. Note that unfurnished really means ‘unfurnished’ (e.g. without light fittings, curtains or other furniture).